Safer Internet Day (SID) 2022: Together for a better internet
Today, 8 February 2022, we celebrate Safer Internet Day – the annual flagship campaign under the European Strategy for Better Internet for Children. With a theme of "Together for a better internet", the day calls upon all stakeholders to join together to make the internet a safer and better place for all, and especially for children and young people.
Every February since 2004, Safer Internet Day (SID) – organised by the Insafe/INHOPE network of European Safer Internet Centres (SICs) with the support of the European Commission* – is a global, community-led observance which provides a space for all stakeholders to reflect on how together we can promote a responsible, respectful, critical and creative use of digital technologies with the ultimate goal of fostering a better internet for all. Having grown in scope over the years, Safer Internet Day is now celebrated by children, young people, parents and carers, teachers, educators and social workers, industry, decision makers and politicians from over 200 countries and territories.
As 2022 will be the European Year of Youth, we want to highlight the importance of ensuring that the largest possible number of children and young people are adequately prepared to handle digital technologies responsibly, respectfully, critically and creatively. Only then can they experience the digital world as a place of knowledge, culture and opportunities. For this edition, we will also be reflecting on the outcomes of the recent #DigitalDecade4YOUth consultation work which heard directly from Europe's children and young people (and those that support them) on How to make Europe's Digital Decade fit for children and young people?. We need to ensure that, collectively, we promote, protect, respect and fulfil the rights of all children and young people when they go online. This work will be reflected in an updated Better Internet for Kids (BIK) strategy, due imminently.
- Visit the website www.saferinternetday.org and discover how you can get involved and what's happening around you to celebrate the day;
- Discover the Safer Internet Day 2022 infographic;
- Stay up-to-date on the latest developments on Twitter (@safeinternetday) and Facebook (@SaferInternetDay), and with the hashtags #SID2022 and #SaferInternetDay.
- This year, for the first time, we will also celebrate SID2022 on the Better Internet for Kids' LinkedIn and TikTok accounts.
* Safer Internet Day would not be possible without the support of the European Commission. Currently, the funding is provided by the Connecting Europe Facility programme (CEF). In the future, actions will be funded through the Digital Europe Programme (DIGITAL).